Thursday, May 1, 2008

Iron Man; A Personal Insight

Just got home not too long ago from a little movie whom I watched with a couple of friends.

We had dinner out at Subway (excellent choice) and headed over to Starbucks (ditto) to chill out before our movie at 8:40pm. I wasn't really keen on watching the movie (mostly due to the fact that the ticket cost me $10) but I conformed anyway.

The time reads 1:26am, so I'm probably gonna keep this article short, sweet and to the point (as long as I stay awake).

*SPOILER ALERT*

Title Of Movie:
Iron Man

Impression Of The Movie (before watching it):
As I've mentioned earlier in the post, I wasn't really keen and hyped up about the whole Iron Man pheomenon thing that has been speculating around for quite some time now. To be brutally honest, I'm not much of a comic book fan; I don't really read classical super hero comics. I wouldn't die if I were deprived of the chance to watch it, I guess.



Technical Analysis Of The Movie (Brief)


Content:
Basically the content, to me, was the most disappointing aspect of the whole movie and this was mainly due to the fact that it was a comic book based story plot; there won't be room for much to wow audiences who have rough ideas or impressions of Iron Man. Its pretty much your average "guy returns from life changing experience and decides to turn into a superhero and fight for justice" kind of storyline. The story observed a basic narrative flow of events which could further be played upon in the film. The "epic showdown" between Iron Man and in-movie nemesis, 'Iron Monger" climaxes the entire movie and vivid action scenes are encrypted into the audiences' minds. There won't be room (or so I think) for a sequel partly because Tony Stark reveals in a press conference scene towards the end of the movie that "I Am Iron Man" upon deep deliberation, something that he does NOT do throughout the entire comic series (or so I understand)

An interesting aspect of the film content however, is due to the fact that the events that happen during the movie and the settings, are very much real and current that is happening in the whole now. What I'm refering to is the reference of the war on Terrorism that is played crucially in the film. The fact that both fictional and real world issues are put in the mix of a comic based movie such as this one is complimentary.


Visual:
Without a doubt, the visual element in the movie is the main attraction of it all. From hi-tech gadgets like computerised assistants, the Iron Man suit etc to awesome graphics and digital rendering that has been put into the production process, the film is sure to give CGI junkies a run for their money. Even car junkies (such as myself) are treated to eye candies in the form of the Audi R8, RS4 and others.
Character-wise, the portrayal of Iron Man is certainly spot on; its exactly like that of the original comic, if not better. The props fabricated for the movie were state of the art and in ways similar to the movie, advance and life-like. The visual component of the entire movie would certainly score points with critics and to me, the grahpics are really cool and off the charts.


Talents (Cast):
The main role of the protagonist, Iron Man aka. Tony Stark, is perfectly played by Robert Downey Jr. He looks the part, thinks like the part and most importantly, feels like the part. A little humour is injected here and there in the movie and that actually spices things up; something which the audience would enjoy in a good movie.
The choice of talents used in the film are pretty much suitable as they very much look the part, especially the afghanistan troops and their leaders. However, a more impactful villian would have been more effective if used in the movie.


Audio:
Rocking tracks accompany various scenes of the movie. From AC/DC to Black Sabbath, I feel that the mood generated is very much on the same vibe as compared to rock genre pieces; hardcore, head bobbing and mind blowing. Thus making it an effective medium to bring its messages across effectively. The idea of Iron Man itself came from a rock song similarly titled by Black Sabbath. Stan Lee drew inspiration from that song and somehow, fabricated the entire concept of Iron Man. Naturally, the song played during the finale and ended the movie off, on a high vibe.


Impression Of Movie (after watching it):
I finally see why Iron Man has been much anticipated amongst comic junkies and fans alike however, its a movie that I would want to watch but NOT insist on doing so. And even as I walk out of the theater, that thought never left. I found the story content a wee bit of a disappointment; I was looking for at least a twist in the plot. But coming from a comic series, it is understandable in a way as story content would usually not stray too far from the original.
Its probably a show that I would watch 3 times (maximum) in a row and again after a couple of months if resouces grant (note that I'm NOT a comic junkie whatsoever). I appreaciate the graphics, audio and talents in the show but was personally looking for a little more in terms of content, as mentioned

Movie Score:
3.7/5

edit: i'm so freaking pissed with the html coding that i'm gonna STOP fiddling with it and go to bed. Gah...

No comments: