Saturday, April 26, 2008

Time Management; The Essence Of Life?

My polytechnic life when into full fledge a couple of days ago when things got considerable hectic in terms of lessons and schedule. Tutorials and lectures filled my daily routine back to back; it was really busy for me.

I must say however, that poly-life has given me a whole new experience. Different learning styles, different form of education and a much different environment.
Having maturity and professionalism towards your course of work is one of the many aspects that is actually needed here in polytechnics, which is much different as compared to secondary school level.

One evident aspect that contributes to one’s success, especially in their tertiary education, is time management.

Time management is somewhat, an essential part of our lives as without it, there will be no organization or order in our daily events or programmes.
We are exposed to time management from a very young age via the means of a time table. I’m sure many individuals have forgone the stage in preschool where they have “play times” at 2pm and “nap times” at 3pm; an excellent example of time management being exposed at an early age.

Time tables get more intense primary and secondary school levels as students are strictly expected to follow what’s on it. In a sense, this teaches them a certain degree of discipline and trains them up from young.

However, I feel that time management is critically tested at the tertiary level of education, university and polytechnic level.

This is largely due to the fact that at the tertiary level, students are given more freedom as they’re generally expected to be more mature thus also expected to have better time management skills.

In a demanding society such as the one we live in today, many professionals and top level personal rely on skills like good communication skills and good leadership qualities, just to name a few. However, few may know that good time management is actually what helps these guys climb to the top.
It is through their skill of planning their lives that enable them to ascend quickly in terms of society standing.

I’m pretty sure that a life in a state of mess and confusion will not achieve success as quickly as a life of proper time management, no matter how much substance or content the latter has. It is only through constant planning and organization that one is able to succeed in what they do and in this sense, I feel that time management is the true essence of life.

So, what can we do to improve our time management skills? Personally, I was a really unorganized person in the past and I’ve often have to cope with tight deadlines and last minute rushes in work. What I did was to keep a personal organizer with me at all times and record details and meetings I had for the week or even the plans I had for a particular date.
Evidently, there has been a change in my lifestyle as I feel more “in control’ of my life and I’m sure what I’m supposed to be doing during a particular time in any particular day. Though it may be a small step in improving my personal time management, I’m sure that in the long run, I’ll develop a stronger sense of time management.

Time management can either make or break a person, depending if one is able to use his or her time to the fullest extend.

So lets work towards having better time management in our lives as only then will we be able to live our lives to the fullest and benefit the most from it all.

No comments: