Sunday, April 20, 2008

Emotions; A Flaw in the Human Design?

I've been pretty occupied these few days and thus explains my inconsistent blog articles. I'll try my best to produce consistent articles over a set duration, for those of you who are interested in the content posted on this blog.

I was somehow or another, subjected to a huge (understatement) myriad of different feelings and emotions over the past week and thus decided to dedicate an article entirely to the topic of human Emotions.
The change in learning environment, the new people, the change in style of learning, the freedom and of course, the 18th; varying events that chronicles my own emotions for the past week or so.

I won't elaborate further about the events that took place as certain details are highly personal, emotionally speaking.
I'll tackle the subject of human emotion as a whole and from my viewpoint and perception, establish a stand on the subject.

What is Emotion? Can it be defined as, "A mental state that arises spontaneously rather than through conscious effort and is often accompanied by physiological changes"(As cited from dictionary.com)? The word Emotion, I feel, is vague and somehow or rather, suggestible; it has no fix definition.
Through my careful observation, the most common "definition" people often use to describe emotion is the word "feeling".

Why is this so?
Are they trying to say that your emotion is what you feel?

There is a certain extend of logic to that claim. But let us take a step back and think about the word feelings. Unlike emotions, the word points to a much more subdue and more rather, physical sense. Probably because feelings are somehow or rather, more sensory as it plays on the five senses.
Emotions however, are much more psychological in a sense. Mainly due to the fact that, from what I see, emotions are fabricated from events and happenings that affect the person.

That being said and established, we now move on to the main gist of the topic; are emotions flaws in the human design.

Emotions as mentioned earlier, is a vague term. When one is happy, is that an emotion? I believe so. Emotions are what you think or how you feel about something that's affected you in some way or another. Like for instance when one watches a touching scene in a particular movie, I'm pretty sure emotions come into play for that person will have a certain degree of subconscious attachment (or detachment, depending) to that particular scene for its content, speech or other factors.

There's a figure of speech, "Emotions got the better of me". It is true that quite often in life, we'll find ourselves in a difficult position, a position where having emotions will mess things up instead of helping. It is in this sense that emotions are classified as a supplement for disaster, something that will affect your chances of survival and success, depending on which.
A common example I observed is when one is forced to talk or face a large audience; nervy emotions are bound to pile up, especially if you're introverted by nature or have no prior experience.

I admit that I'm guilty to such a condition and often I'd blame emotions on certain incidents like that of mentioned. But is that really a bad thing?

I'd like to think otherwise.

To me, the emotions that are within us is actually something that keeps us sane and keeps us human. It may sound illogical but lets imagine ourselves without emotions in our lives. Can we still call ourselves living beings if without emotions? I like to think not.

Every living being, even plants and trees which we take for granted, has emotions by far for it is part of the universal logic of how life works.

Emotions, I feel, constitutes to part of one's soul. There has been a interesting and rather spiritual quest to find out or define the soul of a person. I'd like to think that emotion is the closest subject in relation to the soul of the person.

Yes, emotions can go out of control at times, for when people lose control of their emotions, they lose control of their lives in a way. And I'm sure that's not what most people will want to achieve.

Emotion is a powerful thing, it can either make you, or break you and its always up to the individual to control it, rather then vice-versa, from what I believe. Therefore, I feel that it isn't a flaw, but more rather, a "feature" in the design, a feature that can be mastered and used in advantage rather then to harm.

So let us gain control of this "feature" in our designs and master it. Only then, will we develop a much more enriching and wholesome experience while we're still in existence.

No comments: