Sunday, August 24, 2008

Marketing Life.



Since the crack of dawn, mankind has been pondering over the age old question; the definition of life.

I'm sure that most of you who read my previous entries, updates and articles, have noticed the avid and continual search for this definition.

Everyone has his or her own individualistic view and insight to what life holds and means, which is consequential in itself for that's how it should work out. Simply put, there is no fixed definition for life and what it holds in itself.

The past couple of days were hugely rejuvenating in itself, as it served as an awesome period away from work and a breath of fresh air. No doubt school work has wonders of its own, but it is good to learn outside the typical boundaries of logic and concepts.

And more particularly the discipline of existence and the work of creation.

No doubt I'm looking quite forward to the holidays, largely due to the fact that it'll serve as a good time to restructure (slightly) and strengthen certain aspects of my well being, as well as to further better myself in other aspects.

It will also be a good chance to spend a little time with ourselves and obviously, friends and family. Social interaction is absolutely vital for us, human beings, and I guess that's why government bodies and the world's society accept the fact and existence of holidays and breaks.

Not more than 2 hours ago, I was at the waterfront, by the bay side. Evidently soaking up in the festive mood (of which up till now, I have no answer for the reason of celebration) which included a somewhat impressive display of fireworks, a couple of awesome live performances and large numbers of people massing around for various social interactive purposes.

Well, I'm not really a fan of huge crowds (in terms of moving, pushing and weird characters) and all but I guess a little discomfort now and then makes one stronger.

And I guess events as such serve as a great rally point for people of different orientations and demographics to come together and witness something that we as human beings appreciate visually; in this case, the beauty of the fireworks.

Yet another aspect in life, for beauty and appeal is evident in our daily lives.

And as usual, I began my usual "thought-process" in the midst of my shower awhile back, pondering about the age old question which I started this post with.

I guess this puts truth to the saying "you are what you learn", for I find similarity between life and the aspect of Marketing.

Uh huh. But before you guys (especially to my fellow Media Marketing classmates who want nothing to do with the module, EVER again) navigate away upon reading this segment of the update, hear my rational.

In marketing, we learn things like the marketing mix which are the 4 Ps, segmentation, market research and about the product, place, price and promotion. Simply put, we are taught how to work towards the Needs, Wants and Demands of the consumer.

You may say, where's the link?

Well, I find life similar to marketing, simply due to the fact that Life is full of never ending Needs, Wants and ultimately, Demands.

Literally, it does not make sense, but think of this in a metaphorical sense.

I'd like to view life as a ladder. But in contrast to the commonly known "climbing up the social ladder", my perception of "ladder" is different.

Let me rephrase my quote; I'd like to view life as a never ending ladder.

To me, to live is to improve and work towards something and achieving it. Many have the perception that achieving one's personal legend often means reaching the top of the "ladder", but I somewhat disagree.

Simply due to that fact that the configuration of life in itself makes its fluid and ever moving. And that is simply supplemented by the various needs and wants we have in our path of life, and the pursuit of our personal legend.

When a want is satisfied, another one comes in and slots right in place, and I guess that's what life is about while working towards one's personal legend.

Really interesting stuff, if I may say so. And a little food for thought for you guys, I hope.

And oh yea, I really appreciate the various responses I got for the previous post and naturally, hope to hear more from you guys.

Remember to check back for articles, updates and the lot. Currently, I'm working on a new article, related to my course of study at the moment.

So yea, look out for it and till then.

Cya'll later.

No comments: