Friday, March 6, 2009

The Education Medium

Complication leads to Beauty.

Teaching is never easy, with much variation from the saying "those who can't do, teach".

In my opinion, teaching and educating is one of, if not, the most demanding profession in the world. A big claim I know but few of you guys out there might agree.

Just reminisce and think back on the times when in school, especially high school, where your inner child would unleash himself or herself, much to the disdain and inconvenience to teachers and educators alike.

I'm guilty of that, and I'm sure many of you guys out there are too. Looking back, those memories are certainly amusing yet interesting to ponder over.

For me, my interpretation of teaching constitutes to commitment and that would mean passion; passion comes naturally with commitment. And being a part time educator myself, I've seen my fair share of hair pulling moments.

Take the session today (well, Thursday) for example. I guess my limits were tested and this is why I've always admired educators; they're able to extend their personal limits to boundaries which no ordinary human profession can.

To Learn and to Understand.

On a personal level, I've experience my fair share of awesome as well as not so awesome educators in my course of education for the pass, (pause to count the years) 12 years or so (including kindergarten, yea I know).

Thankfully, I've been more exposed to positive influences in the form of educators rather than those of the opposite spectrum. From those who literally became my "day care mother" to those who deeply inspired me, each and everyone of them etched in my mind.

There has always been this "power distance" between educators and students, an unknown "rule" between both parties (but more prominently amongst students). At lower levels of education, this is especially obvious, well for me at least.

During my days of primary education, I've always thought and looked at teachers with this aura like thing; teachers and students are not allowed to have friendships amongst the other, like how they treat their peers.

It a good thing though, I feel. For one, that certain level of respect is cultivated and it is definitely something that every human being will need to know and learn.

However as I progress through the levels of education, I noticed a change in this "power distance", especially my recent graduation to tertiary education.

At higher levels of education, we find that the distance between educator and student lessens. Lessens, but does not cease to exist, which can be a common but dangerous perception.

I feel that as that distance lessens, students and educators build closer bonds amongst each other and that is good, and healthy.

The declination comes when this distance is totally ignored.

As mentioned, it does NOT cease to exist and some people overlook that fact and the result? That level of respect is lost.

They say that respect is earned, and that everyone lives to be respected to a certain level. And when respect is lost, people feel violated, offended and insulted and that's where things go out of hand.

I guess that line has to be very distinctly drawn, the line that signifies and differentiates respect and building a relationship.

Underrated as it seems, I really feel that educators deserve all the credit that we can give them. After all, it is they who teach and educate, isn't it?

Well, that's that for a little update, on to the more realistic side of life.

I realize that this and the previous post were all themed around education and the such. I guess that might be a little mundane and dry but hey, we cannot deny the fact that its something each and every single one of us is exposed to can we?

On the lighter side, I foresee that next Tuesday, 10 of March, will be a really really good day, cause yet another awesome (in my opinion, haters feel free to dis) band is coming to town!

Lonely Road, their latest release.

Yes, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

I've been a (loyal) listener of their works since a couple of years ago and these guys are certainly one of the first few alternative/post hardcore bands that I listened to, so certainly an influence there.

Their latest release may come off as a little "pop-ish" and "mainstream", but all in all, a change in direction for the band, which may or may not be a good thing.

It still strikes a good chord with me though, so its all good. Be sure to check out their music on myspace or youtube, if you're interested (and go get the tickets if you're really up for it).

Alright, I guess that's it for this little update check back for updates and the lot. More good stuff to follow, I promise.

Till then, Godspeed.

*the owner of metallic-stains is in no way affiliated with the band as mentioned in this post but does express support in their music and style of expression. All songs and references made belong to the band and all rights belong to their respective owners.

----------------
Now playing: The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - You Better Pray
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're going for RJA!
But I'll be in Spain anyhow, ;D
Can't wait to see you guys at 2:30 :D

Anonymous said...

AH I WANT TO GO FOR THE CONCERT!!